TRADING standards have issued a warning after a teenage girl suffered third degree burns from a nail art kit.
Sarah Gallagher bought the kit online for £21 as a gift for her 15-year-old daughter Chloe.
While using the kit, the teen accidentally spilled nail glue on her legs – with the adhesive then burning through her pyjamas.
Chloe washed the glue off quickly, but still suffered chemical burns.
She was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, where doctors found she had suffered second and third degree burns.
The injuries have caused her ‘a lot of pain’, and have resulted in a number of trips to and from hospital to have her dressings changed.
WATCH > Teen dancers surprise Spice Girls on tour
Sarah reported the item to Warrington Trading Standards, who found that the seller was based in Hong Kong and that the glue was manufactured in China.
And residents have now been warned that goods imported from outside the European Union may not have been through stringent safety checks.
Cllr Judith Guthrie, Warrington Borough Council’s executive board member for environment and public protection, said: “We strongly advise people to be wary of buying products that don’t appear to comply with EU and UK regulations.
“It’s really important that people stay safe when shopping online and find out as much as possible about what they are purchasing.
“On this occasion, our officers acted swiftly to get the product removed from the website.
“Unfortunately, as the seller and manufacturer are outside of Europe, we were not able to take enforcement action in this case.”
Officers have urged consumers to check ingredient lists and reviews left on the seller’s site and Google before buying products online, and to heed product safety warnings and instructions – as well as best before dates.